Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Rochester Mini Maker Faire Preview: Fidget

I will be presenting a new project for my third year at the Rochester Mini Make Faire on Saturday, November 19th, from 10 am to 5 pm at the Rochester Convention Center. Year one and year two were awesome, and I'm very excited about this year as well.

This year I am doing a project I am calling the Articulated Paper Creature Mash-Up.  That's a mouth full, but what is means is that you can come to my booth, stamp an image of various body parts of a character on cardstock, cut them out, and assemble the character with brass fasteners to create a poseable/jointed/articulated paper doll.  I have hand carved each of the pieces into a rubber stamp by hand, so you can build your creation from the ground up.

Oh, you mean like a paper doll that my grandma used to play with?  Well, sort of, but not exactly. The characters and creatures are not just little cute little girls with pony-tails.  The characters are from other local artist's imaginations.  You can build a single character, or mix-and-match pieces together to create a brand new mash-up.

I will highlight each character over the next few days.

Today I'm featuring KiraArts creation: Fidget!

Kira Sinclair is the woman behind the monsters at KiraArts.  I met Kira many years ago as part of the Rochester NY Etsy Street Team (RNEST).  Kira absolutely KILLS IT when making here handmade monsters.  She makes monsters like Fidget from upcycled sweaters.  She finds homes for these cast off sweaters that she is given by friends and family, and that she sources from second hand stores.  Color and pattern are important parts of her creations.  Combining them in just the right way to bring a character to life.

Kira gives all of her monsters names to fit their personalities.  When I asked Kira about designing me a character for the Maker Faire, she came up with the drawing seen here.  I asked her what was it's name, and without a second pause, she said "Fidget".  I trolled back into her facebook photo's and found a gray and orange monster that had similar patterns so you can see it in 3D, but really each character is as unique as the sweater she uses.

Kira was at the Rochester Mini Maker Faire in 2015, showing how she creates her monsters.  She has a Etsy store online, and is a smash hit at all the arts+craft shows like Mayday Underground.

I know Fidget is going to be a popular character at the Mini Make Faire this year.  His ears are so expressive, that he can really display a range of emotions with them.  I just hope he will be as fun as the real thing (even if he is less squishable).



No comments: